Friday, May 29, 2015

Announcement: New Focus for the Blog (More Law and Game of Thrones, Less Religion)

I've decided to narrow the focus for subject matter that I will write about in this space based on my interests and those of the readers. The most popular posts on this blog have been, by a wide margin, those in which I discuss issues in the context of some pop culture event (movies, boxing matches, ect).

As I've been doing this, I have also decided that there are certain topics that I am just tired of writing about, and one of those is religion. I've hit the wall. It's a very important topic, but there's only so much that can be said, and it's not like there are new developments. Religions (especially Christianity, Judaism, Mormonism, Islam, and Scientology) don't make any sense today, and they won't make any sense tomorrow or the next day. But I've written about all I can write on that subject so unless a shred of actual evidence emerges to support any claims made by religious people (I won't hold my breath), I'm finished with the subject. I also am more or less done with politics. People make their political views part of their identity, which makes productively discussing those issues nearly impossible, and I'm kinda tired of trying (at least for now).

So, the new focus of this blog will be legal issues examined through the lens of popular culture. For example, one piece I will be writing sometime this summer will be an analysis of the legal consequences that would be faced by every major Game of Thrones character if he or she were to be tried by a court of perfect knowledge under the US criminal code, and my hope is that the piece will cause some to rethink how they view criminals and criminal punishment (preview: your favorite character would almost certainly be on death row or serving life without parole). I will also be taking requests. If you are watching a TV show that involves legal issues, and you want to know how accurately those issues are handled, I will do my best to watch the episode in question and tell you. And obviously if a real life legal situation happens, I'll probably write about that, although in those cases there are usually better qualified experts who I can direct readers too instead. We'll see.

Thank you for reading what I write. I enjoy doing this anyway, but it's definitely more fun to know I'm not just talking to myself :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Song of Ice and Logic welcomes comments and interesting discussion.